Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Ear Saga Part I

Insert theme music from "Jaws" here. Picture a lovely little kitten. Duh-duh. Picture this little kitten with an itchy ear. Duh-duh. Picture this kitten RIPPING ITS EAR TO PIECES AND BLOODSTAINING MY APARTMENT TO THE MAX. DUH-DUH DUH-DUH DUH-DUH.

Explanation: Lucy had ear trouble from the get-go. No one would give me a straight answer on what was wrong. The vet kept acting like it was no big deal. Just an infection. Put her on antibiotics, an ear cleaning regimen, and ear drops (that was really fun, let me tell you). Finally: oh, it's just a polyp. We'll take it out when we spay her. Cool.

But days before the spay it got worse. And worse. And worse. These pictures were taken December 3, the night before the polyp was removed. As gross as they are, they still don't do the thing justice.





Lucy recovered great from the surgery (even though I had a meltdown and my mom came and took her for a week so I could have a break). But I was informed that they were unable to get the whole thing and that there was a possibility it could grow back. At her recheck, a different vet explained that what Lucy had was actually a nasopharyngeal polyp, which, long story short, grows from a place in the skull. She would need another operation to get the roots out, otherwise the thing would grow back for sure. Fan-freaking-tastic.

1 comment:

  1. awesome pictures. How easy it is for us to forget the bad ear. She is so sweet,and indeed one lucky kitten. Keep up the good work. I am glad lucy has you. Love,Mom.

    ReplyDelete